Friday, June 25, 2010

simple & easy vegan banana bread


I've been making some variation on the Tassajara Bread Book's banana bread since I was a young child. It's fun and easy. (The only reason I don't say "quick" is that it has to bake for about 45 minutes.) I tried mixing this up in my food processor, and I had my dough ready before my oven was done preheating! It's the perfect way to use bananas that are turning inedibly ripe. Mine were practically liquified when I dumped them in my work bowl. Also, this is the easiest not-usually-vegan recipe ever to vegan-ize. Bananas are an egg substitute, so you just leave out the egg.

Okay, one more thing. I've got to toot my own horn for a second. This banana bread is so awesome, people who don't like bananas like it. Not all people who dislike bananas (I'm looking at you, Deborah). But others (hi Bridget!) have at least been kind enough to tell me that they enjoy my banana bread.


SIMPLE & EASY VEGAN BANANA BREAD

Ingredients:
1  cup white flour 
1 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup canola oil, or other flavorless oil 
1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar (if your bananas are as ripe as mine, that is, about to start rotting in a few minutes, go toward the 1/4 cup!) 
about 2 cups ripe banana pulp (I used 3 bananas) 
1/4 tsp salt 

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mash the bananas a little, then add everything else and mix it together until combined pretty evenly. Place in a greased loaf pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, until fork or toothpick in center comes out dry.

2 comments:

  1. And I only got one bitsy piece!

    This stuff is delicious even when you're sitting on the couch arguing with family members over something you'll have forgotten about by the next day....

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's plenty left!

    I don't think I was disagreeing with anyone, but we were "arguing" about why and how people are stupid and/or are intellectually lazy. And the degrees to which it's been possible, at various times, to "know" "everything."

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails