Saturday, June 5, 2010

herbs & caterpillar

Last weekend my mother helped me pick out some herbs: sweet basil; spearmint; and sorrel. My recently re-potted herbs are accompanied by my mom's dill, cilantro, parsley, basil, rosemary, and thyme. 

I became addicted to the herbs sorrel and lovage last summer when I had a local CSA with Upstate / Paisley farms.  Sorrel has an amazingly pungent, lemony taste, while lovage looks something like Italian parsley and tastes like the freshest, crispiest, tastiest celery ever, but better. I wanted to grow lovage but it's out of season (as was the kale I was hoping to grow!). My mother's dill plant was visited by that little critter, which I think is a monarch caterpillar. Except mine looks like his stripies are yellower. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails